Friday, May 31, 2019

Founding ferals and fosters

Welcome to ferals and fosters! I’m dedicating this blog to discussion and education of my favorite animal in the world: kitties! As fun as it would be to post everything I love about cats all day every day, there are some conversations that need to be had about their well-being and what we can do to give feral cats the best chance at life possible. Some of those conversations are hard to have or uncomfortable to think about, but I hope this blog will be a space where positivity and responsibility to these animals will take center stage. 


Why I’ve chosen to focus on feral cat advocacy and fostering is that it’s been an important part of my life for the past year now. I live in an area where there is a rather sizable feral cat colony. A colony of cats share a common food source and territory and often include not only feral cats, but lost or abandoned house cats. Last summer, a little tortoiseshell kitty frequented my boyfriend's backyard and we started feeding her every morning and night. Neither of her ears were clipped, signaling that she was not a TNR (trap, neuter, release) kitty. Not even a month later we noticed that she was getting too chunky for it to just be too much pâté. She gave birth to five beautiful babies that summer which started my adventure is fostering feral cats. 


There are a lot of ethical and moral dilemmas to discuss regarding feral cat advocacy as well as fostering. We will explore together topics ranging from public health issues to how to properly de-flea a kitten you bring into your home. I look forward to talking with you all!


Thank you so much for visiting! :) 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that your'e speaking your voice for innocent kittens and feral cats as I am speaking up for man's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mikaila! I'm looking forward to reading what you write on your blog!

      Delete